Start off your day with this nutty cinnamon fruit spread that’s full of flavor and color!
This fruit spread is kid and grown-up friendly and is delicious any time of year. Apricots are full of “fight-o-nutrients” from their naturally bright orange color, which is why they’re one of Super Crew kid Andy’s favorite foods. Plus, walnuts provide omega-3 fatty acids that support brain and heart function.
Nutty Cinnamon Fruit Spread
- 1/2 cup dried Mediterranean apricots
- 1 cup California Walnuts
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place apricots in a food processor and pulse to chop.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse again until finely chopped. Store fruit spread tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Serve on whole-grain bagels, apple slices, toast or graham crackers.
Variations for Fruit Spread:
- Reduce apricots to 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup dried cherries.
- Replace apricots with dried apple rings.
Walnuts are great for brain health and they provide healthy omega-3 fatty acids and other antioxidants to reduce inflammation.
Looking for more ways to use walnuts in recipes? Check out my new cookbook for tasty ideas, then read about all of the benefits of walnuts in my other new book, The Plant-Based Boost, Nutrition Solutions for Athletes and Exercise Enthusiasts.
For another delicious way to eat walnuts, try these crispy cod fillets. The delicious, earth-richness of walnuts, combined with Panko bread crumbs, give a surprising crunch.