About Melissa, Registered Dietitian and Mom, Los Angeles, California
Melissa’s Areas of Expertise
- Childhood Nutrition and Obesity Prevention
- Sports Nutrition with a Plant-Based Focus for All Ages
- Nutrition Education and Curriculum Development
- Functional Foods (Phytonutrients)
- Public Nutrition and Wellness Education
- Disease Management and Prevention
Melissa’s Current Positions
- Founder, SuperKids Nutrition Inc.
- Nutrition Counseling through Melissa’s Healthy Living
- Media Representative for the California Dietetic Association
- People.com Parent Expert Squad
More About Melissa
Melissa Halas, MA, RD, CDE has always had a passion for eating healthfully, which fueled her desire to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and a nutrition educator. She has over 20 years of diverse experience in clinical care, nutrition management, nutrition counseling, nutrition education, brand and product promotion, media, and writing. She has served as past Co-President of the Los Angeles District of the California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (CAND) and was the media representative for The California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She provides a unique approach to health and wellness across all stages of life. The combination of her evidence-based and holistic approach allows her to help her clients and audience reach their health goals.
Launching SuperKids Nutrition
In 2006, she realized her true purpose…to save the world one healthy food at a time™. As a new mom, she was surprised to find limited expert resources on childhood nutrition. So, she decided to develop SuperKids Nutrition Inc., a mega nutrition resource for child and family nutrition that provides easy-to-read, credible information for parents and healthcare professionals, as well as engaging tools to educate children on the importance of eating healthy. With a Masters in Nutrition Education and a Certificate of Training in Childhood and Adolescent Weight Management, she creates fun, evidence-based, and fun nutrition education materials, many of which can be found on her site and in her direct work when counseling.
Her Health Advocacy
Her first love was clinical nutrition, critical care, and clinical trials, providing her with a solid foundation in nutrition science. She worked in adult critical care, pediatrics, and the neonatal intensive care unit before growing the staff coverage as a clinical nutrition manager. As a former clinical nutrition manager, implementing the best practices for nutrition care has always been the highest priority. That’s why Melissa is committed to using the top resources and experts to give the SuperKids Nutrition community reliable, up-to-date, and useful information that applies to everyday wellness choices.
Melissa believes that good nutrition is a powerful tool that can provide fuel and sustainable energy to live your best life. Her philosophy on nutrition is that regardless of your current food habits, small changes over time will eventually build momentum to create positive, powerful, and lasting results. Melissa also shows how kids’ nutrition can be fun with her Super Crew children’s books, activities, and partnerships with national and local organizations to drive healthier change! She believes good nutrition plays a vital role in spiritual, physical, and mental health.
Melissa’s Counseling and Teaching Background
Melissa also provides nutrition counseling to families and adults who want to build healthy and realistic habits over time to create long-lasting changes. For close to two decades, Melissa taught on-line nutrition and health education at universities and colleges to health professionals, fitness professionals, Registered Dietitian Nutritionists, and the general public. She provides national and community lectures on childhood and adult nutrition to a variety of organizations. Melissa enjoys motivating her clients, students, and audiences by encouraging small steps to healthier lifestyle changes while creating a fun approach to living.
Visit Melissa’s personal nutrition and fitness blog which helps motivate individuals to live their best life through good health!
Melissa’s Nutrition Affiliations & Memberships
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Association
- California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutrition (SCAN) Dietetic Practice Group
- School Nutrition Services (SNS) Dietetic Practice Group
- Vegetarian Nutrition (VN) Dietetic Practice Group
- Nutrition Entrepreneurs (NE) Dietetic Practice Group
- Weight Management (WM) Dietetic Practice Group
- Dietitians in Integrative & Functional Medicine (DIFM) Dietetic Practice Group
- Hunger and Environmental Nutrition (HEN) Dietetic Practice Group
- Behavioral Health Nutrition (BHN) Dietetic Practice Group