Get your kids in the kitchen and have them help you make this tasty caramelized onion dip!
Kids can have strong opinions about food, and sometimes vegetables can be low on their interest list. If you get them involved in cooking, you may just discover the next biggest veggie consumer, after you of course, in your own home! So next time your kids ask for a pre-packaged food like an onion dip, store-bought pesto or hummus, take a picture of the ingredients, then together come up with your variation or search online for an easy homemade recipe. Always choose the one that includes extra veggies or herbs in the ingredients or serve with colorful vegetables. Once you’ve made it, go back and compare the number of ingredients you used, versus the long list of ingredients on the package. Chances are yours is healthier and more recognizable!
Check out this tasty homemade kid-developed recipe for caramelized onion dip.
- 1 cup non-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons pureed caramelized onions
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 good squeeze of lemon, around 1 teaspoon
- 1 good squeeze of lime, around 1 teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon fresh oregano (same some to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of a healthy butter substitute (with no transfats in the ingredients)
Optional Ingredients for dipping:
- Whole grain pita chips
- Thinly slice onion and place in large pan with the olive oil and butter substitute. While the onions are caramelizing, mix the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and cumin in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Chop and mince the fresh oregano and fresh parsley. Place aside.
- By now your onions should be close to being done. Take out of pan, place in food processor and blend.
- In a large bowl, place sour cream, spices, fresh herbs, lemon and lime juice, and onions. Mix thoroughly. Garnish with fresh oregano.
- Enjoy with carrot, jicama, pepper or cucumbers and your favorite baked whole grain pita chips!
Makes 8 servings. Serving size 2 Tbsps.
Calories: 34 cal; Carbohydrate: 2 grams; Fat: 1.75 grams; Saturated fat: <.05; Protein: 3 grams; Sodium: 100mg: Potassium 59mg.
Don’t stop here, let your children choose a few simple meals that you can cook together a couple of times a week! You’ll be helping them learn a lifelong skill while spending quality time together on something that is right for you and your family’s health! Not sure how to get started? Check out the Super Crew’s Guide to Cooking with the Kids!