Family Fun Breakfast
For many families, eating meals together – especially breakfast – has become a thing
of the past. The morning meal can be rushed with everyone bustling out the door to start the day. But bonding over breakfast, the most important meal of the day, is a great way to combine family, food and fun.
If you don’t have time during the week, the weekends are ideal for spending quality time in the kitchen. Cooking together and starting the day with a nutritious breakfast will give kids tools for healthy habits that last long into adulthood. But just because it’s healthy, breakfast doesn’t have to be blah! This should be a fun time when everyone in the family gets to play chef and kids learn valuable cooking skills.
When kids get involved in the cooking process, they’re more likely to try new food creations. So let loose and allow some pancake flour to dust the cabinets, or oatmeal to wind up on your sleeves!
Here are some family friendly breakfast ideas to get you started:
- Strawberry cream cheese sandwich: Sweet and creamy, this sandwich is perfect for breakfast. Spread light cream cheese, a drizzle of honey, and fresh strawberry slices between two slices of whole wheat bread. Find out the health benefits and more way to include strawberries with Super Snacks for Your Super Kid.
- Waffle sandwich: Waffles don’t have to be topped with sugary syrup. Use whole wheat waffles in place of bread for a fun sandwich. Experiment with creamy yogurt, nut butters, jam, or applesauce filling.
- Berry nutty pancakes: Whip up some whole grain pancakes and top with a nutrient-rich berry sauce. Puree fresh or frozen berries in a blender and drizzle over
your pancakes for a fruity flavor. Mix extra berries in the batter, and go nuts by mixing in crushed almonds or walnuts for a healthy crunch.
- Outrageous oatmeal: Make an oatmeal buffet. Start with plain oatmeal, and allow everyone to mix in their own toppings, such as fresh or dried fruit, nuts, cinnamon, milk, and yogurt.
- Do-it-yourself breakfast bars: No need for pre-packaged breakfast bars when you can make your own! In a large bowl mix a box of low-fat granola cereal with ½ cup of dried fruit, one egg, ¼ cup honey and ¼ cup canola oil. Spread mixture into a greased 8″x 8″ baking pan and bake until browned at 325F. Cool, cut and enjoy!
Make it a weekly tradition and before long you’ll come up with your own family favorites!
Read more about the benefits of breakfast with healthy breakfast and lunch
Similar Articles You May Like...
Subscribe to SuperKids Nutrition!