This cozy caldo de pollo (chicken soup) is perfect for a cold day, a sick day, or any day you want a quick and easy meal.
Caldo de pollo is a great recipe to make with your kids. Have them help you cut up the veggies, while you prepare the rice and chicken.
This warming meal packs a nutritious punch. The veggies and brown rice contain fiber and chicken is high in quality protein, two components that will keep your kids full until their next meal or snack.
Nutrition Benefits of Chicken
Protein from chicken is easy to digest and contains all of the essential amino acids. (1) Amino acids are what your body uses to build muscle. And that’s not all! Pollo contains B12 and small amounts of iron, which are crucial for oxygen transport, regulation of metabolism, and anemia prevention against anemia that can occur during growth and development. (2)
To top off the never-ending benefits of this bird, the breast meat (without skin) has almost no saturated fat. (1) Can you say winner winner chicken dinner?
The Power of Whole Grains and Veggies!
What’s a better accompaniment to chicken than rice and veggies? Brown rice has a rich, nutty flavor that will add texture to this soup. The phenolic acid compounds, or “fight-o-nutrients,” in brown rice have anti-inflammatory and blood-sugar-lowering benefits. (3)
Together, the ingredients in this recipe make a complete meal that your kids will ask for again and again. Rainy day, or not! Check out our 5-year-old meal plan to see how this fits into a sample day of meals.
Caldo de Pollo (Chicken Soup) and Mexican Rice
Ingredients for 1 cup soup
- ¼ cup chopped carrots
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped potato
- ¼ cup chopped zucchini
- ½ ear of corn kernels removed
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 oz chicken breast chopped
Ingredients for Mexican rice served with soup
- ¼ cup brown rice uncooked
- ¼ cup sliced onion
- 2 small tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- ½ tsp cumin
- salt to taste
Directions for soup:
- In a pot on medium heat, add water, chicken, onions, carrots, corn, potato, salt, and pepper. Leave covered.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, add zucchini and celery. Mix until fully incorporated. Then, bring the pot to a simmer.
- Optional. Serve topped with cilantro and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Directions for rice:
- Cook rice per package instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, add tomato, onions, garlic, cumin, and salt. Mix until fully incorporated. Serve and enjoy.