Baby Food: Sweet Potato with Broccolini and Grains
This veggie dish is a sweet blend filled with vitamin A that your baby will love!
This dish is prepared with baby food steamer, blender and a warmer appliance. The option to use frozen ingredients can save a lot of time while still providing a ton of good nutrition!
- I package “Harvest Grains” from Trader Joes (or you can use couscous, lentils, rice or pasta)
- 1 medium organic sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup of broccoli florets (frozen or fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon “21 Salute” seasoning from Trader Joe’s (optional)
*Double check seasonings to ensure there is nothing in the ingredients the baby should not be eating (e.g., honey, nuts, salt, etc).
- Put the sweet potato and broccoli into the Babycook, add Level 3 of water and steam. You may have to do the potato and broccoli separately if the potato is rather large. You can also purposely do the sweet potato separately, reserving extra for dishes like mac n’ cheese to boost the nutritional content.
- While cooking the vegetables in the babycook, cook grains according to instructions.
- After veggies are steamed, take out of the basket and prepare to puree. Remember the Babycook is SUPER hot from steaming. Be careful when opening. Reserve the water from each steam since this is the liquid you will be using for the puree.
- Pour vegetable mixture into the main container for pureeing, add spices if desired. Puree and add water as you see fit. You will have to stop and scrape down the sides a few times.
- After the consistency is achieved, add the grains (blend again for younger babies or just stir in for older babies).
Divide up, store and enjoy! Will last in the refrigerator for 3 days and in the freezer for 3 months.