Tasty Tofu Nuggets
Trying to get your kids to eat tofu? They’ll love this easy recipe!
Ingredients for Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, we used Braggs Gluten free soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon spicy sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon hoisin sauce (labeled for barbecue stir fry)
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- ¼ teaspoon dried garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 pack (16 ounces) of pressed tofu* (pressed tofu has the water drained and is very firm)*
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 oat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Oil for pan
- Have the kids choose their favorite cookie cutter shapes.
- Together, slice the tofu block horizontally into 1 inch thick rectangles.
- Use the cookie cutters to cut out tofu shapes.
- Mix all ingredients together for the hoisin sauce. Save 1/3 of hoisin sauce for dipping. Use remaining sauce to marinade the tofu for 10 minutes or up to 1 hour in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with oil or use a silicone mat to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, mix together, cornmeal, oat flour, cumin, garlic, and paprika.
- Remove tofu from the liquid, allowing excess liquid to drain, and pat into flour mixture on both sides, then place breaded tofu on a baking sheet. You can also bread the tofu scraps left over from the cookie cutters!
- Bake for 8 minutes, flip and bake for 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
*If you’re concerned about genetically modified foods, you can purchase non-GMO or organic tofu.