Melissa Halas-Liang, MA, RD, CDE, always had a passion for eating healthfully which resulted in her career choice of Registered Dietitian and nutrition educator. In 2006, she realized her true purpose…to save the world one healthy food at a time™. As a new mom, she was surprised to find limited expert resources on childhood nutrition and decided to develop SuperKids Nutrition, a mega child nutrition resource that provides easy-to-read, credible information for parents and healthcare professionals, as well as engaging tools to educate children on the importance of eating healthy.
Melissa believes that good nutrition can fuel you, creating sustainable energy so you can live your best life. Her philosophy on nutrition is that regardless of your food habits, small changes can make a difference and build momentum for lasting changes with positive, powerful results. Whether it’s helping kids eat healthier with her children’s books or inspiring parents and students to live more nutritionally fit through education, she believes good nutrition plays a vital role in spiritual, physical and mental health.
A Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator, Melissa holds a Bachelors of Science in Clinical Dietetics and Masters degree in Nutrition Education and practiced as Certified Nutrition Support Dietitian for 10 years. Melissa has the Certificate of training for Childhood and Adolescent Weight Management. She has 15 years of diverse experience in clinical care, nutrition management, counseling, critical care curriculum, nutrition education, media and writing, and currently serves as Co-President of the Los Angeles District of the California Dietetic Association. She provides a unique approach to health and wellness across the entire lifespan. She combines both an evidenced based and holistic approach to help her clients and audience reach their health goals.
Melissa appreciates the expertise and vast knowledge that Registered Dietitians and Nutrition Scientists bring to the community. As a past clinical manager, implementing best practice guidelines has always been a priority. Melissa is committed to working with the SuperKids Nutrition experts to ensure the quality and accuracy of all the site content. She is also dedicated to using the best resources and experts to give the readers reliable and useful information that is applicable to everyday wellness choices.
For over ten years, Melissa has provided on-line nutrition and health education at universities and colleges to health professionals, fitness professionals, Registered Dietitians and the general public. She provides national and community lectures on childhood and adult nutrition and enjoys motivating her audience by encouraging small steps to healthier lifestyle changes while creating a fun approach to living. Most recently, with SuperKids Nutrition Inc., she shares her passion of creating a healthier “next generation” by working with other nutrition experts in the field to “save the world, one healthy food a timeTM.” Under the SuperKids Nutrition Inc. umbrella, Melissa showcased her favorite pastime of creative writing with the publication of Super Baby Abigail’s Lunch Time Adventure (Sept 2008) and Havoc at the Hillside Market (Oct 2008). The books and educational website entertains and motivates young children to develop healthy eating habits from an early age so they can achieve their full potential by living a healthy life.
Areas of Expertise
- Childhood Nutrition and Obesity Prevention
- Functional Foods and Healthy Eating
- Public Nutrition and Wellness Education
- Diabetes Care, Weight Management and Disease Prevention
Affiliations – Member
- American Dietetic Association
- California Dietetic Association
- Los Angeles District of the California Dietetic Association
- Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior Health
- Center for Science in the Public Interest
- Diabetes Care and Education Dietetic Practice Group
- Nutrition Education for the Public Dietetic Practice Group
- Food and Culinary Professionals Dietetic Practice Group
- School Nutrition Services Dietetic Practice Group
- Dietitians in Business and Communications Dietetic Practice Group
- Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group. Pediatric Subgroup.
- Nutrition Entrepreneurs Dietetic Practice Group. Authors Subgroup.
- Woman’s Health Dietetic Practice Group
- Hunger and Environmental Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group