Back to School: Packing a Healthy Lunch
Packing a healthy lunch can provide your kids with the nutrients and energy they need to focus and do their best at school. Check out these easy and creative brown bag lunch options.
They are so tasty, they won’t be traded away! With two weeks of lunch ideas, you won’t have to spend a second thinking about what to prepare. Jot down the meals your kids liked best so that you have a go-to any other time of the year!
Monday: Peanut butter and sliced apple (or banana) “quesadilla”
- Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter or soy nut butter on a whole wheat tortilla. Top with apple or banana slices (or both!). Fold in half. Serve with a glass of low-fat milk and a stick of string cheese.
Tuesday: Mexican chicken pita
- Whole wheat pita filled with 2 to 3 ounces of chicken pieces (grilled or baked), lettuce, 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese and salsa. Serve with a low-fat yogurt and orange slices.
Wednesday: Turkey pretzel wrap
- Two to three ounces of turkey pieces, avocado slices, and pretzel sticks in a whole wheat wrap. Serve with baby carrots, cherry tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of low-fat ranch dressing for dipping.
Thursday: Salmon salad pita
- Two to three ounces of canned wild salmon mixed with plain Greek yogurt and chopped celery in a whole wheat pita. Serve with baby carrots and grapes.
Friday: Pizza roll-ups
- Whole wheat tortilla spread with tomato paste, topped with ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and baby spinach leaves. Roll and slice into pieces. Serve with bell pepper sticks and 2 tablespoons of hummus.
Monday: Bell pepper, cucumber and cream cheese sandwich
- Two tablespoons of reduced-fat cream cheese with chopped bell pepper and cucumber slices on 100% whole wheat bread. Serve with orange slices and a glass of low-fat milk.
Tuesday: Egg salad and veggie pita
- Mix a sliced hard-boiled egg with plain Greek yogurt, chopped bell peppers, tomatoes and shredded zucchini in a whole wheat pita. Serve with 2 graham crackers and apple slices (add a dash of lemon juice to avoid browning).
Wednesday: Dipping Day
- Five to six 100% whole wheat crackers, baby carrots, celery and 2 tablespoons of soy nut butter. Serve with low-fat yogurt and raisins.
Thursday: Hummus roll-ups
- Whole wheat tortilla spread with 2 tablespoons of hummus, baby spinach leaves, and shredded carrots. Roll and slice into pieces. Serve with a string cheese stick and ½ cup of fruit salad (cantaloupe, raspberries, and watermelon)
Friday: Yogurt Parfait
- In an insulated thermos, make a parfait by layering plain or vanilla yogurt and chopped fresh fruit like berries, apples, bananas or peaches. Serve with whole grain cereal or 1 to 2 tablespoons of granola as a topping.
Test Your Knowledge
1. Which is the most nutritionally balanced lunch?
a. One slice of pizza, diet soda, and a cookie.
b. Turkey breast and cheese sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread, low-fat milk, baby carrots, and apple slices.
c. Ham and cheese sandwich on white bread, Snapple and a candy bar.
b. Turkey breast and cheese sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread, low-fat milk, baby carrots, and apple slices. This meal provides lean protein, whole grains, fruit, vegetables and calcium for growing bones!
2. True or False: Kids never eat what they bring for lunch – it ends up in the trash or traded with other kids.
False. Pack a healthy and appealing lunch and your kids will eat it and enjoy it!