Fru-Shi: A Creative Fruity Snack for Kids
This creative spin on sushi is a tasty fruit snack your kids will find delicious, tasty and fun!
When you’re creating healthy kids meals and snacks for your children or even making them together, it’s helpful to focus on the different MyPlate food groups to build a balanced plate!
Fru-shi is a creative, tasty, and fun way to enjoy a cool fruit-filled summer snack. It includes the fruit group, grain group, and dairy group. Kids can mix and match flavors and fruits to their liking. Out of fresh fruit and don’t feel like running to the market? No problem! Fru-shi can be made with frozen or dried fruit as well.
What You Need:
- 1 large whole wheat or whole grain tortilla
- 2 tablespoons 2% or low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese, room temperature (you can also use flavored Greek Yogurt and skip the cream cheese)
- 2-3 strawberries, sliced
- 1 fresh peach or nectarine, chopped
- 1 kiwi sliced thinly
- Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
- First, lay the tortilla flat on a plate or clean countertop.
- Combine the cream cheese and Greek yogurt with a spoon until smooth. Add the cinnamon to the cream cheese/yogurt mixture (if using).
- Spread the cream cheese/yogurt mixture across the tortilla with a spoon.
- Layer the fruit across the tortilla.
- Roll tortilla long ways and slice into “sushi” roll pieces.