Looking for a sweet natural dessert for your kids? Look no further!
This tasty, crunchy and sweet dessert will soon become a family favorite! Apples are packed with fiber, which is important for heart health at any age. Apple skins are also a good source of quercetin, a plant compound that is a phytochemical, or what the Super Crew calls fight-o-chemicals which helps fight off disease. Quercetin helps protects us against asthma and appears to be important for memory and brain health.
Don’t be intimidated by the beet juice ingredient! You can buy vacuumed sealed beets available at Trader Joes or through Melissa’s Produce. Use the liquid from the package and it will be more than enough to color your yogurt. You can also make and freeze beet juice in ice cube trays for later use if you want to try this recipe a different day, or even as a natural food dye for other dishes. Next time your kids have a school party or play date -try making these apple donuts as a fun activity!
- 1 large apple
- 4 tablespoons 0% plain Greek yogurt mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1-2 teaspoons 100% beet juice
- Diced strawberries
- Chocolate chips
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Core and slice apple cross-wise into 4, 1/4“ thick ¼ slices
- Combine yogurt and 1 teaspoon of beet juice in a small bowl -add more beet juice if you want frosting to be a deeper pink color
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the pink yogurt frosting onto each apple slice then lightly drip with honey
- Top each “donut” with strawberries, chocolate chips, coconut, or granola