This fideo soup is a new take on chicken noodle soup that you and your kids will enjoy!
Mmm is there anything more comforting than a big bowl of soup? Not only is this recipe full of veggies and easy to make, but it can also be made ahead of time. It’s weekday meal prep made easy!
What is Fideo Soup?
First a little history lesson, this recipe is a variation of Sopa de Fideo, a traditional Mexican noodle soup. “Sopa” translates to “soup” in Spanish; this variation of sopa originated in Spain in the 1600s. (1)
Noodles to Use for Sopa de Fideo
Fideo noodles are a thin pasta, but if you unable to find this variety vermicelli or angel hair pasta works. What makes Fideo soup special is that the noodles are browned in oil prior to adding other ingredients (step 3).
Noodles can be nutritious, especially when paired with an assortment of colorful vegetables. Adding in veggies can also boost your kids’ fiber intake. Noodles and vegetables also provide carbohydrates that are an important source of fuel for your child’s brain. Eat noodles for your noggin!
See other meals to pair this soup with for a full day of meals for your 5-year-old with Mexican flavors.
- ½ cup Fideo pasta cooked
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1½ cups water
- ½ cup corn frozen
- ½ cup green beans
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cooking oil preferably olive or algae oil
- Boil tomatoes with 1.5 cups of water. Cook until tomatoes are tender.
- In a blender, puree tomato mixture and set aside.
- In a small oiled pot over medium heat, add onion and pasta. Toast pasta until lightly browned. Stir often to avoid burning.
- Add tomato broth, corn, and green beans to the pot. Mix until fully incorporated
- Season with salt, pepper, cumin to taste.
- Lower heat to a simmer. Once pasta is soft, remove from heat. Serve and enjoy!