Waldorf Turkey Sandwich
Get kids involved in preparing and packing their healthy lunch. This way you know they’ll eat it. Plan ahead and come up with a list of tasty ideas together, then shop for the ingredients to make meal time more succesful. Plus, getting kids involved in planning and meal preparation will empower them not only try new foods but also make healthier choices.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 100% mini whole-wheat pita (or whole wheat tortilla)
- ½ cup Granny Smith apples
- ½ cup celery
- ½ cup red grapes
- 8 slices of Applegate honey turkey or Applegate ham
- 8 slices reduced fat provolone cheese
- Walnuts (optional)
- Reduced fat mayonnaise (optional)
*Kid tested: Kids preferred without optional ingredients. Moms liked with and without walnuts or mayonnaise.
- Wash apples, grapes and celery thoroughly. Kids can help scrub the celery and apples and rinse grapes
- Chop the celery and apples into small or medium size squares
- Cut grapes lengthwise and then across into 4 pieces (younger kids can use a plastic knife to cut grapes and celery, older kids can help with all ingredients with adult supervision)
- Toss the fruits and veggies in a bowl to make Waldorf salad mix
- Place provolone on top of turkey, fold into loose square so cheese is on outside
- Place fruit salad mixture in between pocket for turkey and cheese mixture
- Cut pita opening halfway from center
- Stuff into pita
Eat and enjoy! Use leftover salad mix for garnish. Makes 8 mini pitas, perfect for kid size meals.