Two Simple Steps to Delicious and Nutritious Snacks
- To help satisfy your child’s hunger for a longer amount of time, combine at least two of the five food groups listed below:
- Grains (e.g. bread, pasta, rice, crackers, pretzels, granola, cereal)
- Protein (e.g. cottage cheese, lean cuts of meat, fish and poultry)
- Dairy (e.g. low-fat milk, yogurt and reduced-fat cheese).
- Think variety, color, flavor, and texture. Children eat with their eyes, so make sure to mix and match different colors. Try different textures to create a more interesting snack or meal.
- Creamy cheese with whole grain crisp crackers
- Smooth yogurt with crunchy cereal and colorful fruit
- crisp orange baby carrots and green, red or yellow sweet peppers
with low-fat dip or hummus
To get some great snack ideas with fruits and veggies see Fun with Fruits and Vegetables.