Tasty & Fun Memorial Day Kick-Off Ideas!
Memorial Day is a time when we teach our kids to remember and honor our brave soldiers fighting for our freedom. The holiday weekend also marks the start of summer and the start of summertime BBQ fun! Millions of Americans will host a BBQ this Memorial Day Weekend. Super Kids Nutrition is challenging families to show kids healthy eating is tasty and fun!
For a healthy dose of RED, WHITE, & BLUE try these:
- Instead of salty potato chips and creamy dip, choose organic baked blue corn chips dipped in red pico de gallo and topped with low fat sour cream.
- Frozen Yogurt Rocket Pops: pomegranate juice, vanilla yogurt and blended blueberries frozen in rocket shaped Popsicle molds.
- Angel Food Cake topped with fat free whipped topping, strawberries and blueberries.
Side Dishes That Will Energize Your Memorial Day BBQ:
- Corn on the Cob -go light on the butter or try a healthy butter substitute
- Baked Navy Beans
- Whole Wheat Pasta Salad with tomatoes, olives and roasted glass jar peppers, made using light salad dressing -add balsamic vinegar for some extra pizzazz
- Bean Salad made with black beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans, mixed with cider vinegar & OJ. People who include beans several times a week live on average 6 years longer and healthier. Check out this tasty veggie and bean salad.
Try the Following Healthier Meat Choices:
- Chicken Breasts with a citrus marinate to decrease cancer causing compounds formed when grilling
- Lean Turkey Burgers made with chopped onions, chives and green bell peppers
- Nitrate Free Hot Dogs on a whole wheat bun
- Seasoned Peppers, Zucchini, and Eggplant
- Garden Burgers served on a whole wheat bun with a side of coleslaw
Refreshing Memorial Day Weekend Desserts:
- Blueberry, Mango and Raspberry Smoothie made with low fat vanilla yogurt. Be sure to top this with a red, white and blue umbrella!
- Make Fruit Kebabs! Thread chunks of watermelon, pineapple, kiwi, mango, nectarine, strawberries, & blueberries on a wooden skewer. Get your kids involved to make your fruit fun.
- Keep 100% juice slushies on hand, by filling up Dixie size cups with grape juice or orange juice. Defrost briefly (5 minutes) in the sun and serve with a spoon. Kids will stay cool and love them!
Similar Articles You May Like...
Subscribe to SuperKids Nutrition!